- By Cincinnati Window Design
- In Replacement Windows
- Tags House Windows, How Long Do Windows Last, Install Windows, Replace Windows, Replacement Windows
Windows are a crucial feature of your home since they provide lighting and protect you and your structure from harmful elements, affect energy efficiency, and help enhance your daily comfort. Overtime all windows all start breaking and that’s when you need to evaluate replacement windows. When choosing new replacement windows for your home, remember that the materials, overall construction quality, and environmental condition of the product will determine how useful and efficient they are, as well as how long they’ll last. Some windows can maintain their look and efficiency for up to 40 years, while other options may persist only about 10 years. In this article we would like to discuss a few thing for you to consider before buying replacement windows…
What is the Durability of the Frame Material
The window frame can be aluminum, solid wood, or vinyl. Part of your window durability will be determined by what material you choose for the frame. Here are the advantages and disadvantages of each…
- Aluminum – the advantages of aluminum windows is it is less expensive and easy to maintain. Aluminum window frames are light-wight and can be customized to fit specific configurations. Unfortunately aluminum is among the worst performer for insulation. Aluminum can be cold to the touch and is often prone to condensation. The window can last 30 to 40 years before requiring replacement
- Wood – the advantages of wood windows is they are extremely weather resistant. Wood is available in a wide range of color coating and is energy efficient . It also seems to be the choice for window frames. Most folks love the classic look. Wood requires a lot of maintenance and if you fall behind your window may warp or rot. The average wooden window lasts 10 to 20 years
- Vinyl – Vinyl replacement windows are quickly overtaking wood as the standard material chosen. Vinyl frames are both efficient and durable. The most desirable feature is that vinyl doesn’t require any maintenance and will continue to look good for years. Disadvantages of Vinyl Windows is that the Interior cannot be painted or stained to match decor. Most vinyl windows last between 20 and 40 years .
Characteristics to Compare
- U-factor – Lower numbers are better numbers in the U-factor. For superior energy performance, use windows with a U-factor of 0.25 or less. This is a measure of your window’s thermal efficiency. The better built your windows are the lower your utility bills will be.
- Warranty – The warranty on any window is a direct indication of how long the manufacturer actually expects the product to hold up. If they offer a long and comprehensive warranty they’re telling you they are confident that the windows will last. If they offer a shorter or more limited warranty they are directly saying that they think the product may fail after that point.
Now you know the differences, pros and cons of all available window materials and are ready to identify what features are most important to you. You should have a clear idea of how long your new replacement windows will last, based on their material, workmanship and warranty.
Cincinnati Window Design can help you with replacement windows. We offer superior products, competitive pricing, and friendly service that will help transform your home into one that is beautiful, energy efficient, and comfortable to live in. We offer free, no-obligation, in-home consultations to create an estimate that is uniquely customized to your specific needs and project.
Contact Us (513-674-0999) For A Free Estimate Today!
Cincinnati Window Design is your one stop for window, door, siding, roofing, gutter, and garage door design and installation! We pay attention to the details, provide great service, and offer fair pricing.
>> Learn More