- By Cincinnati Window Design
- In Replacement Windows
- Tags Replacement Windows, Replacement Windows Cincinnati, Replacement Windows Dayton, Replacement Windows Northern Kentucky
One of the main reasons to replace windows is for the energy saving benefits they provide. For a typical home 40% of the annual energy budget goes towards heating and cooling cost. So, if you are interested in saving money… window replacement is a good idea. The following will help you decide if you want double pane or triple pane windows….
The Pros of Double Pane Windows
- Energy Efficiency – There are many benefits to double pane windows. Most notably, homeowners enjoy increased energy efficiency and a more comfortable home with lower heating and cooling bills. Additionally, eliminates the hassle of dealing with storm windows when the seasons change. Double pane windows are the number one window choice in America.
- Argon Gas – Many double pane windows have only the air between the two panes of glass. The more energy efficient windows have an argon gas fill between the panes for additional insulating properties. Argon is a clear, odorless, slow-moving gas. When pumped inside the glass unit, it greatly improves thermal efficiency. The argon minimizes the convection currents within the space, and the overall transfer of heat between the inside and outside is greatly reduced. So the double pane with argon gas is the one to purchase.
- Value – A double pane window with argon gas is going to reflect 90% of the energy on a sunny day in the summer and 90% of the cold on a freezing day in the winter, only 10% is going to leak out. In comparison a triple pane window with reflect 97% of the energy and only allow 3 % to leak out. However the triple pane windows cost 1/3 more than double pane. If you are looking for the best deal up front double pane makes more sense.
- Natural Light – When you have three panes of glass instead of two you are going to have more coatings for the sun to get through. So, double pain windows will allow more light into your home.
The Pros of Triple Pane Windows
- Extremely Energy Efficient – Families that chose triple pan glass windows choose them for the comfort. Triple pane glass with Low-E glass have a microscopically thin coating that is transparent and reflects heat. A window that is this energy efficient means that your HVAC system won’t need to work so hard, despite how hot or cold it is outside.
- Argon Gas – Argon gas creates a barrier that blocks energy from escaping the home. Unlike dual pane windows, triple pane windows include an extra chamber for energy efficient gases. This doubles the amount of energy-saving potential and keeps the home at a consistent indoor temperature. Triple pane windows are within a degree or two of the wall temperature. If comfort is your biggest concern, triple pane windows will be the best option.
- Noise Reduction – Another reason for triple pane glass is the reduction in noise. If you live on a busy street or live in a noisy environment the triple pane window can really make a difference. Triple pane windows also can withstand up to 30 swings of a baseball bat which means this triple pane window would also be great if you want extra security.
Both Double and Triple Pane Windows Are a Big Improvement
A quality window can provide energy savings and comfort in the home for up to 20 years—and sometimes longer. Cold glass can create uncomfortable drafts as air next to the window is cooled and drops to the floor. Also, strong direct sunlight through window onto people and interior surfaces can cause overheating and discomfort. They not only provide reduced annual heating and cooling bills, they also reduce the peak heating and cooling loads. You are going to immediately benefit from getting replacement windows no matter what glass option you choose.
Cincinnati Window Design can help you with replacement windows. We offer superior products, competitive pricing, and friendly service that will help transform your home into one that is beautiful, energy efficient, and comfortable to live in. We offer free, no-obligation, in-home consultations to create an estimate that is uniquely customized to your specific needs and project.
Contact Us (513-674-0999) For A Free Estimate Today!
Cincinnati Window Design is your one stop for window, door, siding, roofing, gutter, and garage door design and installation! We pay attention to the details, provide great service, and offer fair pricing.
>> Learn More